I am 75 years old. I used to file my ITR-1 tax return through my net bank account. Now I find it difficult in the new version. My wife’s name in the net banking profile and her PAN card are the same, but I cannot deposit through her net bank account due to “name mismatch”. Please let me know who to contact and post the step-by-step process.
The income tax return (ITR) can be filed on the new income tax portal using a JSON-based offline utility. Alternatively, prescribed RTI forms can also be filed directly online. We understand that the RTI form that is applicable to you is RTI-1 and have therefore mentioned the process of filing it on the new income tax portal.
Where the ITR is dropped offline using a JSON-based utility:
1. Download the “Common Offline Utility (ITR 1 to ITR 4)” from the Income Tax portal.
2. You will need to install the utility file on your device.
3. Once installed, you can start the process by selecting “download pre-fill data”.
4. Mention your PAN and select the assessment year YY 2021-22.
5. Provide your login credentials.
6. Select the taxpayer type as an individual and select ITR-1 and continue.
7. The utility will show you various FAQs and documents, which you can refer to, and then select “Let’s get started”.
8. Select the reason for filing the tax return from the available options and continue.
9. Complete the tabs of form ITR-1 and validate.
10. Once all the tabs are completed and confirmed, you can click continue.
11. Once you have previewed and verified the return, you can select “Proceed”.
12. If there are any errors, the utility will ask you to correct them.
13. Once all errors have been resolved, click on “Proceed to check”.
14. You will have to provide your login details again.
15. Once logged in, you can select “Download Return”.
16. You can either e-check your tax return immediately or at a later date.
17. If you choose “verify online now” (via Aadhaar OTP, pre-validated bank account, online banking, digital signature), the verification process should be completed; once done, your tax return would be submitted.
18. If you choose to “check online later”, your tax return will be submitted and you can complete the check within 120 days.
When the RTI is filed online on the Income Tax Portal:
1. After logging into the income tax portal, you can select the “deposit now” option on the home screen.
2. Post which one, you will be asked to follow the steps similar to those mentioned above.
Regarding the error you are facing when filing your spouse’s income tax return, it would be advisable to consult your banker once and also check if your spouse’s PAN is linked to their bank account.
If they are unable to help you regarding the error, you can contact the Income Tax Helpdesk and ask for their advice.
Parizad Sirwalla is Partner and Head, Global Mobility Services, Taxation, KPMG India.
Never miss a story! Stay connected and informed with Mint. Download our app now !!