Public holidays in January 2022: banks will remain closed for 9 days. However, there is no need to worry as online banking will also work on public holidays.
Public Holidays in January 2022: The new year is almost here as we are only 4 days away from entering 2022. As January is about to begin, it is important that all customers know when to bank will remain closed in the first month of 2022 in order to plan their banking activities. According to the list of public holidays published by the Reserve Bank of India, banking activities will remain affected for 9 days in January, excluding weekends (second and fourth Saturday and Sunday). However, it can be noted that even though the banks will remain closed, online banking services will also continue to operate on public holidays.
Bank customers will not be able to withdraw and deposit money at bank branches due to public holidays, but they can use online banking, ATMs, mobile banking, etc. Bank account holders should also be aware that on specific days banks will close their doors. only a few cities and not nationwide. If you have banking work to do or need to withdraw money in the coming week or need to visit your nearest branch, you can check the list of holidays below:
1. January 1, 2022: Banks will remain closed on New Years Eve in Aizawl, Chennai, Gangtok and Shillong.
2. January 3, 2022: Banks will remain closed due to New Years / Losoong celebration in Aizawl and Gangtok.
3. January 4, 2022: Banks will remain closed on the occasion of Losoong in Gangtok.
4. January 11, 2022: Banks will remain closed on the occasion of Missionary Day in Aizawl.
5. January 12, 2022: Banks will remain closed on the occasion of Swami Vivekananda’s birthday in Kolkata.
6. January 14, 2022: Banks will remain closed the day before Makar Sankranti / Pongal in Ahmedabad and Chennai.
7. January 15, 2022: Banks will remain closed on the eve of the Uttarayaana Punyakaala Makar Sankranti / Maghe Sankranti / Sankranti / Pongal / Thiruvalluvar Day festival in Bengaluru, Chennai, Gangtok and Hyderabad.
8. January 18, 2022: Banks will remain closed for the Thai Poosam in Chennai.
9. January 26, 2022: Banks will remain closed on Republic Day in all cities except Agartala, Bhopal, Bhubaneswar, Chandigarh, Guwahati, Imphal, Jaipur, Kochi and Srinagar.
Apart from the aforementioned holidays, banks will also remain closed on January 8, 2022 and January 22, 2022 due to the second and fourth Saturdays and on January 2, 9, 16, 23 and 30 due to Sundays.
It can be noted that the list of public holidays is published by the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and it grants public holidays to banks under three categories. The three categories include public holidays under the Tradable Instruments Act, public holidays under the Tradable Instruments Act and real-time gross settlement holidays and bank account closure.